Bonanno (Bonannus) of Pisa
architect and sculptor.
The great bronze doors of the cathedral of Moureale are signed "Bonannus civis Pisanus," with the date 1186. The doors which were made for the cathedral of Pisa in the latter part of the twelfth century are ascribed to him. Those of the front were destroyed in 1596 (see Bologne, J.). That of the transept remains. An inscription found in excavating at the base of the Leaning Tower of Pisa gives the name of "Bonannus," who is supposed to have been the architect of the building. His work appears to have been suspended at the third gallery on account of the increasing inclination.
Hugh of Lincoln, Saint
bishop of Lincoln; b. about 1135; d. 1200.
The son of a Lord of Avalon near Grenoble, France, and brought to England by King Henry II to build the Carthusian monastery at Witham. In 1186 he was made Bishop of Lincoln in England, and built the choir, called S. Hugh's Choir, of Lincoln cathedral, one of the earliest specimens of Gothic architecture in England. Some of his work still remains in the choir, which has, however, been much rebuilt. It is probable that the entire cathedral was built according to his scheme. He was not himself an architect, but employed others, especially Geoffrey du Noyer.