Lando di Pietro
goldsmith, sculptor, architect, and engineer; d. 1348.
At a meeting of the Consiglio della Campana, August 23, 1339, it was decided to enlarge the cathedral of Siena by treating the existing church as a transept and building a new nave. In 1339 Lando di Pietro came from Naples, where he was employed on important undertakings, to superintend the work. Construction was interrupted by the great plague of 1348, in which Lando perished. In 1357 a great part of the new work was taken down, leaving the church in its present condition.