Michelozzo di Bartolommeo de' Michelozzi
architect and sculptor; b. about 1396; d. 1472.
Michelozzo was trained as a goldsmith, and assisted Ghiberti on both doors of the Florentine Baptistery. He built for Cosimo de' Medici the fumous palace in the Via Larga, Florence, which was bought by the Riccardi in 1659, and, enlarged by them, is now the Prefetura. He built the library, finished 1441, and convent and cloister of S. Marco in Florence (1437-1452). About 1444 he began the works at the church of SS. Annuuziata, Florence. He built the chapel, sacristy, Chiostro del Antiporto, and began the Tribuna or choir of this church. He remodelled the interior of the Palazzo Vecchio, Florence, especially the main court and the hall of the Two Hundred. At Milan he remodelled the palace of Cosimo de' Medici, now Vismara, and built the chapel of the Portinari at the church of S. Eustorgio, famous for frescoes by Vincenzo Foppa (both between 1456 and 1462). The arcade of the Palazzo Rettorale at Ragusa in Dalmatia is ascribed to him (Schmarsow, op. cit.). July 14, 1428, Michelozzo signed the contract for the exterior pulpit at Prato, the records of which still exist (Guasti, op. cit.). The sculpture is by Donatello. They also made together the Brancacci monument at Naples and that of ex-Pope John XXIII at the Florentine Baptistery. The Aragazzi tomb at Montepulciano is ascribed to Michelozzo alone.
He made the plans of the church of S. Maclou at Rouen about 1437 and conducted the works on that building until 1450.