Giorgio di Pietro Spavento
architect; d. 1509.
Spavento succeeded Antonio Celega as inzegnerius prothus dominorum procuratorum Sancti Marci. He built the new sacristy of S. Marco in Venice (begun August, 1486), and at the same time the church of S. Teodoro and that of SS. Filippo e Giacomo in Venice. About 1498 he restored the Sala del Gran Consiglio at the Doges' Palace. He assisted in the construction of the Palazzo della Ragione at Vicenza in 1500, and at the Ponte delle Nave at Verona in 1502. At the same time he built the Capella di S. Niccolò at the Doges' Palace. In 1506 he made the model for, and began the construction of, the church of S. Salvatore in Venice, but was superseded the next year by Pietro and Tullio Lombardo. In 1507 he was again employed at the Doges' Palace.