clergyman and architect; d. 1710.
Dr. Aldrich was dean of Christ Church College (Oxford) in 1689. He resided long in Italy in association with eminent architects and musicians. He planned and built three sides of Peckwater court, Christ Church College, and the parish Church of All Saints in the High Street; and was a principal adviser in the construction of the Chapel of Trinity College, which he probably designed, although it is known that Sir Christopher Wren was also interested in it. One of his best works is the garden front of Corpus Christi College. All the buildings mentioned are in Oxford. The manuscript of his Elementa Architectuæ Civilis was acquired by his friend Dr. Clarke, also an architect, and was published with a translation by the Rev. Philip Smith in 1789. Aldrich composed music which is still in use.
Robert le Lorrain
sculptor; b. 1666 (at Paris); d. 1743.
Le Lorrain was the preferred pupil of François Girardon. In 1689 he won the Grand Prix de Rome in sculpture. He was admitted to the Académie Royale de peinture et sculpture in 1702, was made professor of the Académie in 1717, and recteur in 1737. He was extensively employed at Versailles, especially in the decoration of the chapel of that palace (see Hardouin-Mansart, J.). The most remarkable of his creations is the bas-relief of the "Horses of the Sun" over the door of the stable of the old Hôtel de Rohan, Paris, now occupied by the Imprimerie Nationale.