Ægid Asam (Egid)
sculptor and architect; baptized September 1, 1692; d. after April 29, 1750.
Ægid Asam was associated with his brother Cosmas Damian Asam in his work. He appears to have confined himself to sculpture and stucco work, and was a sculptor of rare delicacy of feeling. The façade of a house adjacent to the Johanneskirche in the Sendlinger Strasse, Munich, is covered with remarkable sculptured decoration by him.
Richard Boyle , third Earl of Burlington and fourth Earl of Cork
amateur and architect ; b. April 25, 1695; d. December 4, 1753.
Richard Boyle succeeded to his father's titles and estates in 1704. October 9, 1714, he became a member of the Privy Council, and August, 1715, was made Lord High Treasurer of Ireland. He grew up under the influence of Sir Christopher Wren, spent several years in Italy, and became an enthusiastic admirer of Palladio. He was a skilful architect and had a strong influence upon the architectural work of his time. In 1716 he undertook the reconstruction of the family mansion, Burlington House in Piccadilly, London, which was originally built by his great-grandfather, the first earl. Walpole attributes the fine colonnade of the court to Burlington himself. In 1730 he rebuilt his villa of Chiswick from a design suggested by La Rotonda of Palladio, and laid out the park in the Italian style. Burlington designed General Wade's house, Cork Street, London (destroyed), a dormitory for Westminster school, London, and the Assembly Rooms at York. His principal helper was William Kent, who lived at his house until his death in 1748. Burlington spent much of his wealth upon the preservation and restoration of important public monuments, among others the church in Covent Garden, London, designed by Inigo Jones. He bought in Italy many of the original designs of Palladio, which he published under the title Fabriche Antiche, London, 1730, 1 vol., folio.
Alexandre Jean Baptiste Leblond
architect; b. about 1680; d. 1719.
Leblond was the son of a painter. He received his first training in that art, and afterward turned his attention to architecture. In 1716 he went to Saint Petersburg on the invitation of Peter the Great. For him he built the palace of Peterhoff, and designed its gardens. Leblond published La théorie et la pratique du jardinage (4to, Paris, 1722), and other works.