Karl von Gontard
architect; b. 1738; d. September 23, 1791.
Gontard received his training in Paris, and travelled in Italy, Sicily, and Greece. In 1764 he entered the service of Friedrich II (Frederick the Great). He built at Potsdam, near Berlin, the offices of the Neues Palast, the Freundschaftstempel and Marble Palace. He built in Berlin the K÷nigsbrucke with its colonnade, the two towers of the Gendarmen Markt and other important buildings.
Caspar Frederik Harsdorf
architect; b. May 26, 1735; d. May 24, 1799.
Educated in France and Italy, and was chief royal architect at Copenhagen, Denmark, and director of the Academy of Sciences in Stockholm, Sweden. He built the propylŠa of the royal palaces in Copenhagen and other important buildings.
Giovanni Battista Piranesi, Antichita d'Albano e di Castel Gandolfo (Rome: 1764), selected plate.