Charles de Wailly
architect and painter; b. November 9, 1729; d. November 2, 1798.
De Wailly entered the school of Jacques François Blondel and was associated also with Legeay and Servandoni. In 1752 he won the Grand Prix d'Architecture and visited Rome. In 1767 he entered the première classe of the Académie d'Architecture in Paris and in 1771 the Académie de Peinture. In 1779-1782, in collaboration with Marie Joseph Peyre, he built the theater of the Odéon (Paris). He enlarged to choir of the church of S. Leu (Paris), and built a chapel in the Rue Hoche at Versailles. The plans which he made for the embellishment of the city of Cassel (Germany) are in the library at Cassel. He had an atelier in the palace of the Louvre and died there.
Claude-Nicolas Ledoux, Woodcutter’s House and Workshop (1773-79).