Edmond Jean Baptiste Théodor René Joly
architect; b. April 7, 1824; d. September 25, 1892.
Architect of the Chambre des Députés (Palais Bourbon), Paris. In 1844 he entered the Ecole des Beaux Arts, and in 1865 succeeded his father as architect in charge of the Chambre des Députés. In 1871 he was charged with the installation of the Assemblée Nationale at Bordeaux and later at Versailles.
Henry Hobson Richardson
architect; b. September 29, 1838; d. April 27, 1886.
Richardson was born in Louisiana. In 1860 he entered the École dcs Beaux Arts under the direction of L. J. André. The outbreak of the Civil War having destroyed the resources of his family, he secured through André a position as draughtsman in a government office in Paris. Returning to America in October, 1865, his first commission was for a Unitarian church in Springfield, Massachusetts. This was followed by the construction of the offices of the Boston and Albany railroad in Springfield and a church in Medford, Massachusetts. October 1, 1867, he formed a partnership with Charles Gambrill. In July, 1870, Richardson's design for the Brattle Street Church in Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, was successful. This Romanesque church is noted for its fine tower, bearing a frieze sculptured with colossal figures. The best known of his works is Trinity Church in Boston, begun in 1872 and finished in 1877. In 1876 he was associated with Leopold Eidlitz and Frederick Law Olmstead in the completion of the State Capitol in Albany. Richardson built the Allegheny Court House, Sever Hall in Harvard University, and numerous public and business buildings. In most of his works he followed a style of his own based on the Romanesque architecture of southern France.
Alexander Thomson, Grecian Chambers (Glasgow: 1865).