1. Plan and section of a sepulchral tomb excavated in the tufo which belongs to the family of the Scipios, one of the branches of the Cornelia; it was discovered in 1780, on the left of the Via Appia, and near the Porta Capena, now St. Sabastian.
2. Heads in terra cotta, peperino, and bronze, found in the tombs of the Scipios, probably portraits of these illustrious personages.
3. Sarcophagus of Lucius Cornelius Scipio Barbatus, in a single block of peperino, with the exception of the top; in the state in which it was found on the spot marked A in the plan.
4. Plan of the lower story of another antique monument, belonging to a Roman family. It is seen beneath the Church of St. Agnes outside the walls of Rome.
5. Section of the monument, showing the lower story, destined for sepulture; and the upper, a small temple consecrated to the ashes of the dead.
6. Part of the external wall executed in brick; base and capital of the angular pilasters in terra cotta.
7. Antique Sarcophagus, serving also for an altar, as shown by the inscription.
8. Christian Sarcophagus found in the catacombs, which may have had the same use; now in the Place Riminaldi, near the Place Navona.
9. Plan and section of the chief part of the Catacomb of St. Hermes, near Rome, on the Via Salara; at B is the staircase by which it is approached, and at C the Chapel of St. Hermes.
10. Plan of the Chapel of St. Hermes, now called the Chapel of the Apostles, from the painting of the Apostles round the archivolt of the arch at the end.
11. Transverse section towards the entrance, showing the tomb of St. Hermes at the end of the chapel.
12. Transverse section towards the entrance, showing the depth of the sepulchres on each side of the chapel.
13. Longitudinal section of the chapel, in which may be remarked the fronts of the sepulchres excavated in the side walls.
14. Another section showing the opposite side.
15. Left side of the monument of St. Hermes, with the section of the sarcophagus in which the body of the saint was found.
16. Front view at large of the same monument.
17. Right side of the same.