One of the composite capitals from the Cathedral of Monreale near Palermo.
Cathedral, Speyer, Romanesque, chiefly 1030-1065, c.1082-1182.
Plan of the Cathedral of Monreale, near Palermo, in the twelfth century, by William II (1153-89), called the Good.
Longitudinal section of the same; the nave is decorated with eighteen columns of granite; of which, nine have Corinthian, and the other nine composite capitals and bases, which were most probably antique.
One of the composite capitals of the nave.
Base of composite column.
Interlacing of mosaic over the upper windows.