Giacomo della Porta
architect; b. 1541 at Milan; d. 1604 at Rome.
The most important of the pupils of Vignola. Between 1564 and 1573 he was occupied at Genoa, his principal work there being the completion of the church of S. Annunziata. After the death of Vignola in 1573, he returned to Rome and finished the church called Il Gesù, begun by that architect. Before his death in 1564, Michelangelo and his assistants had made a model for the cupola of S. Peter's church (Rome), and had completed the construction as far as the cornice of the drum. The cupola itself was built by Giacomo della Porta. He also built the Palazzo Paluzzi, the Palazzo Chigi in the Piazza Colonna, the Palazzo Serlupi, the Palazzo d' Este, the façade of the church of S. Maria in Monte (1579), the façade of the church of S. Luigi de' Francesi (1589), all in Rome. He was very successful in designing decorative architectural accessories. He made several fine fountains in Rome, the most important of which is the Fontana delle Tartarughe (of the Turtles), the figures of which were modelled by the sculptor Taddeo Landini. Della Porta's Villa Aldobrandini near Frascati, his last work (1598-1603), with its fine garden and casino, is especially characteristic.
architect; d. 1590.
In 1564 Lurago built the famous Palazzo Doria-Tarsi (del Municipio) in the Strada Nuova, Genoa. For Pius V (Pope 1566-1572) he built the church and convent of the Dominicans at Bosco. (See Alessi, G.)
sculptor; d. October, 1611.
Prieur was probably a pupil of Germain Pilon. He made the monument to the Constable Anne de Montmorency (d. 1507), fragments of which are now in the Louvre. He worked on the château of Ecouen and carved the figures in the spandrels of the arches of the Petite Galerie du Louere. In 1573 he made the vase containing the heart of Montmorency, and its supporting column, now in the Louvre.