The towers which Servandoni designed for the church of S. Sulpice (Paris) not being satisfactory to the authorities of the church, Maclaurin was commissioned in 1749 to rebuild them. His work was condemned, in turn. In 1777 Jean François Chalgrin rebuilt the northern tower. The southern tower is still as Maclaurin left it.
Giovanni Battista Piranesi, Carceri d'invenzione (Rome: first state, 1749), selected plates.