Adolphe Napoléon Didron (Ainé)
arehaeologist; b. March 13, 1806; d. November 13, 1867.
Didron began with the study of law. Turning his attention to archaeology, he was appointed secretary of the Comité des monuments historiques newly established by Guizot. In 1844 he established the Annales Archéologiques. Didron published Iconographie chrétienne, Histoire de Dieu (1 vol. 4to, Paris); Manuel des œuvres de bronze et d'orfèvrerie du moyen âge (1 vol. 8vo, 1859); Iconographie de l' opéra (1 vol. 8vo, 1864); and numerous important contributions to the Annales Archéologiques and other archaeological journals.
Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres
painter; b. August 29, 1780; d. January 14, 1867.
The famous painter Ingres made the cartoons for the windows of the chapel of S. Ferdinand in Paris and of the Memorial Chapel at Dreux.
Edward van der Nüll
architect; b. January 9, 1812; d. April 3, 1868.
In 1844 he was appointed professor of ornament in the academy of Vienna. In association with August Siccard von Siccardsburg, he built the new opera house in Vienna and other important buildings.
John Woody Papworth
architect; b. March 4, 1820; d. July 6, 1870.
Elder son of John Buonarroti Papworth. He entered the Royal Academy as a student in 1839. Papworth contributed many articles for the architectural periodicals, and wrote useful books on architectural subjects. He was largely employed as a practical architect. He was associated with his brother, Wyatt Papworth, in the preparation of the Dictionary of the Architectural Publication Society.
architect; b. 1810 at Basel; d. 1863.
He was a pupil of Moller at Darmstadt and studied also in Berlin and Munich. He superintended the restoration of the minster at Basel, Switzerland, and built the Elizabeth Kirche in that city.
Sir George Gilbert Scott
architect; b. July 13, 1811 ; d. March 27, 1878.
In 1827 he was articled to James Edmeston, and in 1832 entered the office of Henry Roberts. In 1844 he won first prize in the competition for the church of S. Nicholas at Hamburg, Germany, to replace the building burned in 1842. This he built in the German Gothic style of the fourteenth century, with a tower 475 feet high. In 1847 he was appointed architect of Ely cathedral, and architect of Westminster Abbey in 1849, where he restored the chapter house, monuments, and northern portal. His Gleanings from Westminster Abbey was published in 1862. After competition he was appointed in 1858 architect of the building of the War and Foreign offices, London. His first designs were Gothic, but he was required by Lord Palmerston's government to substitute a design in the style of the Italian Renaissance, according to which the building was erected (begun 1861). He afterward completed this block of buildings by erecting the Home and Colonial Offices. Between 1863 and 1868 Scott designed and built the Albert Memorial in Hyde Park, London. In 1866 he was one of the six competitors for the Royal Courts of Justice in London. He won the gold medal of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1859, and was president of that body from 1873 to 1876. He was appointed professor of architecture at the Royal Academy in 1868. His lectures were published under the title Mediaeval Architecture (2 vols. 8vo, 1879).
Johann Heinrich Strack
architect; b. July 24, 1805; d. June 13, 1880.
He studied architecture with Schinkel, and in 1834 went to Italy. After his return he was made professor in the Academy of Berlin. In 1862 Strack went to Athens and superintended the excavation of the theater of Dionysos. He published Das altgriechische Theatergebäude (1843, folio); Zeigel Bauwerke des Mittelaters und der Renaissance in Italien (Berlin, 1889, folio); Baudenkmäler Roms den XV-XVI Jahrhunderts: engänzung zu Letarouilly (Berlin, 1891, folio) etc.
Semper builds the Gothic fountain in the Post-platz (1843-1844).