Re: human apparent asymmetry
What's interesting about the double organs of the kidneys and the lungs is that both organs carry out a lot of osmosis, thus it might just be that the design of these organs reflect the balancing operation that they largely perform.
osmosis : diffusion of fluid through a semipermeable membrane from a solution with a low solute concentration to a solution with a higher solute concentration until there is an equal concentration of fluid on both sides of the membrane
The "height of Venturi's influence" may not actually represent the highest degree of Venturi's intent. Rather than promoting "Post-Modernism", the chapter titles of Complexity and Contradiction in Architecture indicate what Venturi was really promoting:
1. Nonstraightforward Architecture: A Gentle Manifesto
2. Complexity and Contradiction vs. Simplicity or Picturesqueness
4. Contradictory Levels: The Phenomenon of "Both-And" in Architecture
5. Contradictory Levels Continued: The Double-Functioning Element
6. Accommodation and the Limitations of Order: The Conventional Element
7. Contradiction Adapted
8. Contradiction Juxtaposed 9. The Inside and the Outside
10. The Obligation Toward the Difficult Whole
The design works of Venturi with his various partnerships almost always manifest the towardness of difficult wholes.
051021a.db portion of the Ichnographia Campus Martius