Jean Charles Adolphe Alphand
architect; b. October 26, 1817; d. 1891.
In 1854 Alphand was called to Paris by Baron Haussmann as chief engineer of the promenades and plantations. He arranged the Bois de Boulogne, the Parc Monceau, the Bois de Vincennes, the Champs Elysées, the Avenue du Bois de Boulogne, the Buttes Chaumont and the Parc de Montsouris. He took a leading part in the organization of the Exposition of 1889. Alphand published Les Promenades de Paris (2 vols., folio, 1868-1873) and Exposition universelle, 1889; Palais, jardins, etc. (2 vols., folio, 1892).
architect; b. June 8, 1817; d. May 19, 1885.
Ballu was a pupil of Louis Hippolyte Lebas at the École des Beaux Arts from 1834 to 1840. In 1840 he won the Grand prix de Rome. His envoi de Rome was a remarkable restoration of the Erectheum at Athens. Returning to Paris, he was employed on many important public works, notably the completion of the Church of S. Clotilde, the restoration of the Tour de S. Jacques de la Boucherie (1854-1858), and the restoration of the Church of S. Germain 1'Auxerrois (1858-1863). In 1860 he was made architect in chief of the fourth section of the public works of the city of Paris (religious edifices). Between 1861 and 1867 he built the Church of the Trinité with its presbytery. From 1871 to 1876 he was inspecteur général of the public works of the city of Paris. In 1874, with de Perthes, Ballu won the first prize in the competition for the new Hôtel-dé-Ville (Paris), which they constructed.
architect; b. February 22, 1827; d. January 8, 1892.
Chabat studied architecture at the Atelier Garrer in Paris. He was employed by the Chemin de fer du Nord from 1854 to 1858, and at the Exposition Universelle of 1855. In 1865 he entered the architectural service of the city of Paris. Chabat published Fragments d'Architecture, Eléments de construction, Dictionnaire des termes employés dans la Construction, La Brique et la Terre Cuite, etc.
Georg von Dollmann
architect; b. October 21, 1830 in Ansbach; d. March 31, 1895 in Munich.
Born Georg Carl Heinrich Dollmann, the son of a government officer, he attended the Gymnasium in Ansbach. In 1846 he moved to Munich and received his technical and artistic education at the Polytechnical Institute and the Academy of Fine Arts. In 1854 he entered the service of the Royal Bavarian State Railways, where he was concerned with building construction such as the modification of the station in Gemünden am Main. Leo von Klenze made him his assistant, and he worked in Klenze's office up to Klenze's death in 1864.
Dollmann completed the Befreiungshalle and expanded the Assyrian Hall in the Glyptothek courtyard. His first significant independent work was the neo-Gothic Church of the Holy Cross in Giesing (now part of Munich), which was built 1866–1883.
The concept of a magnificent building commissioned by King Maximilian II of Bavaria was not realized, but in 1868 he entered the service of his son King Ludwig II as an architect and saw a rapid career.
In 1869/1870, in five separate planning phases he designed the project of a Byzantine palace; however it was never realized. Between 1870 and 1872 he expanded the hunting house in Linderhof by a U-shaped building complex, whose centre was the stately bedroom. But this construction had to make place for a new Linderhof Palace, built 1874–1879.
From 1868 Ludwig II commissioned a project for a new Versailles Palace in Linderhof Valley. From December 1868 till September 1873, Dollmann presented seventeen different floor plans and numerous front elevations as well as many drawings of the bedroom. In 1873 the project was transferred to the Herreninsel in Chiemsee. As Herrenchiemsee Palace it remains uncompleted.
The King's House on Schachen, a wooden post-and-beam construction, was built 1869–1872. In 1874, Dollmann took over the direction of the building activities at Neuschwanstein Castle (started in 1869) from Eduard Riedel.
In 1884 Dollmann fell from the king's favour. He had to make place for his colleague Julius Hofmann and retired.
Karl Freiherr von Hasenauer
architect; b. July 20, 1833; d. January 4, 1894.
He was educated at the Collegium Carolinum in Braunschweig, Germany, and at the academy of Vienna, and travelled in Italy, France, and England. In 1854 he won first prize in architecture at the academy of Vienna. He won also second prize in the competition for the new facade of the cathedral of Florence. In association with Semper he designed at Vienna the Museums of Art and Natural History, built between 1872 and 1884, and the new Imperial Palace. He designed also the Hofburg theatre at Vienna. He published Das K. K. Hofburgtheater in Wien (1890, folio).
In 1888, Giuseppe Brentano entered the atelier of Baron Hasenauer in Vienna, to study Gothic architecture.
Thomas Hayter Lewis
architect; b. 1818; d. December, 1898.
He was a student at the Royal Academy, London, and won its gold medal. He assisted Sir William Tite at the Royal Exchange, London. In 1854 he designed the Alhambra in London. In 1860 he was elected general secretary of the Royal Institute of British Architects. In 1864 he succeeded Donaldson as Professor of Architecture at University College, London, and superintended the enlargement of its buildings. Lewis contributed many articles to the Transactions of the R.I.B.A., and wrote works on Justinian's Buildings, The Holy Places of Jerusalem, Byzantine Sculpture, and other books.
1854 death of Franz Christian Gau