Antonio di Pietro Paolo
This Antonio is supposed to have been a son of Pietro Paolo dalle Masegne, the Venetian architect. He built the Church of S. Giacomo at Sebenico (Dalmatia), and in 1430 began the cathedral of that city. In 1441 he was superseded by Giorgio Orsini.
Luca della Robbia
sculptor; b. 1399 or 1400; d. February 20, 1482.
The principal member of a family of sculptors in Florence in the fifteenth century. He was apprenticed to a goldsmith. The best known of his works and the earliest which can be dated with certainty is the marble cantoria which was formerly in the cathedral of Florence and is now in the Museo Nazionale (Bargello). It was begun in 1430 and finished about 1440. The companion piece is by Donatello. Between 1437 and 1440 Luca made five bas-reliefs, completing the series begun by Giotto in the first story of the Campanile, Florence. The bronze doors of the sacristy of the cathedral of Florence were begun by Luca with the assistance of Michelozzi in 1447, but not placed until 1474. In 1455 he began the marble monument of the bishop Bonozzo Federighi in the church of S. Francesco di Paolo near Florence (finished 1451). To Luea is due the application of the art of glazed terra cotta to figure sculpture and to elaborate architectural decoration. He was assisted and succeeded by various members of his family. Luca's earliest work in Robbia ware, of which the date is known, appears to be the bas-relief of the Resurrection over the door of the sacristy of the cathedral of Florence (1443). The Ascension also in the cathedral was made between 1446 and 1450. A series of medallions on the fašades of Or S. Michele (Florence) are among his earlier works. The works of Luca are more severe in style and more simple in colour than those of his successors.
Transept, Cathedral, Le Mans, Gothic, 1277-1430.