Christian Friedrich Arnold
architect; b. February 12, 1823; d. June 13, 1890.
Arnold was a pupil of Semper. He won a first prize in architecture with a pension which enabled him to spend several years in Italy, France, and Belgium. On his return he was appointed professor at the academy in Dresden. He built the Villa Lonchay on the Elbe (1858-1860) and the Sophienkirche in Dresden. Arnold published Der Herzogliche Palast von Urbino (l vol., fol., Leipzig, 1856).

William Burges
architect; b. 1827; d. April 20, 1881.
He was educated at University College and King's College, London, and was also a pupil of Edward Blore and Digby Wyatt, and applied himself especially to mediaeval architecture. In 1856 he won the first award in the competition for Lille cathedral. Burges designed the cathedral of Brisbane, in Queensland (1859), and the cathedral of Cork (Ireland), his most important work (1862). In 1865 he restored Cardiff Castle. He prepared designs for the new law courts in the Strand, and for the decoration of S. Paul's cathedral (London), which were not executed. He designed Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut.

August Ottmar Essenwein
architect and archaeologist; b. 1831; d. October 13, 1892.
Essenwein made a special study of Romanesque architecture. From 1856 to 1860 he worked at first in Vienna and afterward in Gratz (Austria). In 1866 he was appointed director of the Germanic museum in Nürnberg (Germany). He enlarged the old monastery in which the museum is located, and restored many mediaeval churches in Nürnberg, Cologne, Bonn, and elsewhere. He published Die Mittelalterlichen Kunstdenkmale der Stadt Krakau (Leipzig, 1869, 1 vol. 4to.); Nord-deutschlands Backsteinbau im Mittelalter (Karlsruhe, 1855, 1 vol. folio); Kunst- und Kulturgeschichtliche Denkmale des Germanischen Nazional Museums (Leipzig, 1877, 1 vol. folio). He edited many handbooks for the Germanic Museum and made several important contributions to the Handbudi der Architektur.

Freidrich Freiherr von Schmidt
architect; b. October 22, 1825; d. January 23, 1891 (in Vienna).
He was educated at the Polytechnische Schule in Stuttgart under Mauch, and made a special study of stereotomy and stone cutting. In 1843 he was employed as a stone cutter on the cathedral of Cologne. In 1856 he passed the state examination in architecture in Berlin. Schmidt devoted himself especially to the Gothic style and built many churches in Germany. In 1859 he won first prize in the competition for the Rathhaus in Berlin, but did not carry out that work. He was made professor of architecture at the Academy of Milan in 1857, and began the restoration of the church of S. Ambrogio in Milan, which was interrupted by the war of 1859. In this year Schmidt was appointed professor at the Academy in Vienna, and in 1862 was made architect of the cathedral of S. Stephen in that city, the tower of which church he finished in 1864. He designed the Rathhaus in Vienna, which was finished in 1883.

Vincenz Statz
architect; b. 1819 (in Cologne).
About 1841 he was associated with Zwirner on the works of the cathedral at Cologne. He became diocesan architect in 1863, and in twenty years built about sixty churches in the Gothic style, most of them in the archbishopric of Cologne. He published Gothische Einzelheiten (eight parts, folio, 1874), and with Ungewitter, Gothisches Musterbuch (Leipzig, 1856).




Quondam © 2017.01.22