Maese Juan Agusti
Agusti directed the construction of the Cathedral of Gerona, Spain, from June 6, 1471, to July 21, 1479.
bishop, d. about 1500.
The eminent ecclesiastic and statesman, John Alcock, was bishop successively of Rochester (1471), Worcester (1477), and Ely (1486), and erected important buildings at each of these places. He was twice lord chancellor. Alcock was associated with Reginald de Bray as surveyor of the royal works and buildings in the reign of Henry VII.
Benedetto da Maiano
sculptor and architect; b. 1442; d. May 24, 1497.
A younger brother of Giuliano da Maiano and, according to Perkins, a pupil of Luca della Robbia in sculpture. Benedetto was associated with Giuliano in their botega (atelier) in Florence, and the architectural portion of the works attributed to him probably belongs to Giuliano. He made the altar of S. Savino in the cathedral of Faenza about 1471 (Bode). Before 1481 he made the marble doorway at the Palazzo Vecchio, Florence. His sculpture at Loreto, including the fountain of the sanctuary, dates from 1484-1487. For Pietro Mellini he made the fine pulpit in the church of S. Croce, Florence. About 1488 he appears to have visited the court of Matthias Corvinus, king of Hungary. Benedetto's reputation as an architect rests mainly upon the assertion of Vasari that he designed and built the first story of the Palazzo Strozzi in Florence (begun 1489). The documents indicate, however, that Giuliano da Sangallo was the actual designer of the building. The extremely delicate portico of the church of the Madonna delle Grazie at Arezzo is ascribed to Benedetto by Vasari. About 1490 he made the bust of Antonio Squarcialupi in the Florentine cathedral. After the death of Giuliano da Maiuno in 1490, Benedetto entered the service of Alfonso, Duke of Calabria, afterwards King Alfonso II, for whom he made, in the church of Mont Olivette, Naples, a retable with a bas-relief of the Annunciation and other works. The black marble monument of Filippo Strozzi in the church of S. Maria Novella, Florence, was made by him about 1493. Probably after this date, he made, at San Gimignano, near Florence, the altar of S. Fina in the Duomo, and the altar of S. Bartolo at the church of S. Agostino.
architect and sculptor; b. 1453; d. 1515.
Cozzarelli was a pupil of Francesco di Giorgio Martini who was interested in the revival of wrought-iron work in the fifteenth century. Especially notable are the torchholders of the Palazzo Pandolfo Petrucci in Siena (Italy). He enlarged the church of the Osservanza (Siena), and did some good work in coloured terra cotta.
Mino da Fiesole
sculptor; b. about 1430; d. 1484.
A Florentine sculptor of the school of Donatello. He made in Rome the monument of Paul II (Pope 1464-1471), the sculpture of which is now in the vaults of the Vatican, the monument of Niccolò Forteguerra in the church of S. Cecilia in the Trastevere (1473), the monument of Pietro Riario in the church of SS. Apostoli (1474), etc. In much of his Roman work he was associated with Giovanni Dalmata. His Florentine works are better known: the monument of the Bishop Salutati in the cathedral of Fiesole (1462), the monument to Bernardo Giugni in the Florentine Badia (1466), an altarpiece in the Florentine Badia (1470), the interior pulpit of the cathedral of Prato (1473), made in collaboration with Antonio Rossellino, etc. Mino's most important work is the monument of the Count Hugo (Ugo) von Andeburg in the Florentine Badia, which was begun about 1481.
Baccio (Bartolomeo) Pontelli (de Puntellis) or Pintelli
architect, engineer, and wood worker (intarsiatore); d. after 1492.
Pontelli was a pupil of Francione. The earliest notice of him is as intarsiatore at Pisa (Italy), where he was employed in 1471. 1475-1477 he made the stalls in the choir of the cathedral of Pisa. In 1479 he went to Urbino, where he came under the influence of Francesco di Giorgio Martini. After the death of Federigo da Montefeltro, duke of Urbino, in 1482, he went to Rome. July 27, 1483, he was sent to inspect the work of Giovannino dei Dolci at Cività Vecchia, and in 1484 himself directed the construction of that citadel. During the reign of Innocent VIII (Pope 1484-1492) he was placed in charge of all the fortresses in the Marches. Nothing is known of him after 1492.