Andrea del Sarto
painter; b. 1486; d. 1531.
A mural painter of great ability and renown.

Jean de Soissons (Jean de Damas)
Jean de Soissons was a pupil of Martin Chambiges. February 15, 1509, he went to Troyes (Aube, France), and undertook the construction of the portal and towers of the cathedral from designs by Martin Chambiges. December, 1516, he was made maître de l'œuvre of the cathedral, under the supervision of Martin Chambiges, and in 1519 assumed entire direction of the works.

Roulland Leroux
architect; d. 1527.
Roulland was a nephew of Jacques Leroux. He was associated with his uncle in his work on the Tour de Beurre at the cathedral of Rouen. April 24, 1509, he presented a new plan on parchment for the portal of the cathedral of Rouen, which he built with the assistance of many sculptors, especially Pierre Desobeaulx, who carved the great bas-relief of the "Tree of Jesse" in the tympanum of the main door. In 1516 he made the plans for the mausoleum of the Cardinal d'Amboise in the cathedral of Rouen, which was finished in 1525. October 4, 1514, the central wooden spire of the cathedral was destroyed by fire. Leroux designed a new spire, of which he completed the first story. (For the history of this spire, see Becquet, Robert.)

Michele Sanmicheli
architect and military engineer; b. 1487; d. 1559.
Sanmicheli was born at Verona (Italy). About 1500 he went to Rome, where he came under the influence of Bramante and Raphael. As early as November 27, 1509, he is mentioned as cathedral architect at Orvieto, Italy, and appears in the records of that building until 1528. Michele built the altar of the Three Kings in this cathedral. His earliest independent work is the church of the Madonna delle Grazie at Montefiaseone (1519). After the sack of Rome in 1527, Sanmicheli was employed by Clement VII (Pope 1523-1534) to assist Antonio (II) da San Gallo in the fortification of several Italian cities, notably Parma and Piacenza. This was a beginning of an immense practice as military engineer, which included the construction of the defences of Milan, Urbino, and Naples, and the superintendence of the entire system of fortifications for the territory under Venetian rule in Italy, Dalmatia, Crete, and Cyprus. He is said to have invented angular bastions. The most architecturally important of his military works are the fort of S. Andrea di Lido, Venice, the bastions of Verona, and the superb series of semi-military portals in the walls of Verona; the Porta Nuova, the Porta Palio (or Stuppa), the Porta S. Zenone, and the Porta S. Giorgio. The most important of his palaces are the Bevilacqua, the Canosa, the Pompeii, Versi, and Gran-Guardia in Verona, and the Grimani (on the Grand Canal), and the Cornaro Mocenigo (in the Campo S. Paolo) at Venice. The architecture of these palaces is in the main a development of the type established by Bramante in the so-called palace of Raphael (now destroyed) in Rome; heavy rustication below crowned by a single order above. Sanmicheli designed the domical church of the Madonna di Campagna, the famous circular chapel of S. Bernardino, the façade of the church of S. Maria in Organo, and portions of the church of S. Giorgio in Braida, all in Verona. He designed the monument of Alessandro Contarini in the church of S. Antonio at Padua.

1500-09 Palazzo Vendramin-Calergi Venice

Plan and elevation of a small chapel called St. John in Oleo, near the Porta Latina, erected in 1509.

Daitokuji Temple Daisenin Garden (Kyoto: 1509).




Quondam © 2017.01.08