John Carr
architect: b. May 15, 1723; d. February 22, 1807.
Carr began as a mason, settled in York (England), and gradually acquired considerable reputation as an architect. He built the courthouse at York and a large number of fine residences in the neighbourhood of that city. He was twice lord mayor of York (1770 and 1785).

Franz Xavier Chrismann (Griesmann. Krismann)
priest and organ builder.
Chrismann was a priest from the diocese of Laibach (Austria), and one of the foremost organ builders of the eighteenth century. In 1770 he began the great organ of St. Florian, near Lintz (Austria). That of the Schottenfelder church, one of the finest in Vienna, was finished in 1790.

Thomas Jefferson
statesman ; b. April 2, 1743; d. July 4, 1826.
Thomas Jefferson, third President of the United States, was much interested in art, especially architecture. He was intimately associated with the construction of several private and public buildings of importance, and it is probable that much of the actual design and superintendence of these works were due to him. About 1770 Jefferson began the mansion at Monticello, Virginia. In 1784 he was appointed minister to France, and made use of the opportunity to improve his knowledge of architecture. He returned to Monticello in 1787, and completed his house. Jefferson was doubtless the chief architect of the buildings of the University of Virginia, which was established in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 1818. During his official residence in Washington he was largely concerned in the erection of the national Capitol.

James Wyatt
architect; b. August 3, 1748; d. September 5, 1813.
A brother of Samuel Wyatt. Wyatt was taken to Rome at the age of fourteen by Lord Bagot, ambassador to Italy. He studied also for two years in Venice with Visentini. In 1770 he made considerable reputation by adapting the old Pantheon in Oxford Street, London, for dramatic performances (burned 1792). Working originally in the classical style, he afterward imitated Gothic architecture and built in that style Fonthill Abbey, Wiltshire, for W. Beckford, and other important works. March 16, 1796, he was appointed surveyor general and comptroller of his Majesty's office of works, succeeding Sir William Chambers, and held that office until it was dropped in 1815. He was made a member of the Royal Academy in 1785, and temporary president in 1805. He built the royal military academy of Woolrich, and restored Salisbury and Lincoln cathedrals.




Quondam © 2017.01.18